“Undoubtedly a dictator, but nevertheless popular with the Italian people”, how far do you agree with this description of Mussolini’s rule in Italy in the years 1924-1936?
Main Body: Concerned with:
; Mass media, * Propaganda
; Women, *Repression
; Youth, *Popularity
; The Church
Methods ; Targets…Did it make him popular?Did the people like it?Did they even know it was happening?
* Emphasized domesticity, maternity and self sacrifice?
* Fed Propaganda in through education in school?
* Contests set up to see who could bear the most children?
* “Women must obey…my idea of her role in state is in opposition to all feminism. Naturally she shouldn’t be a slave, but if I conceded her the vote, I’d be laughed at. In our state, she must not count.”——Benito Mussolini ???
* Mass Media-
* Radio ?
* Who read or paid attention to these things?
* Youth Oraganisations? [Members wore cool uniforms, they sang songs, they learned mysterious rituals]
* Indoctrinated through education?
* “make way for the young.” —-Benito Mussolini???
* Supressed independence?
* The Church-
* While Mussolini governed the political side of Italy, the Roman Catholic Church governed the spiritual side. In this sense,
For youth oragnisations—–answer—-that fostered a sense of belonging